The Kindness Connection has worked in Chicago area schools for over 12 years, providing volunteer opportunities for over 45,000 students! We offer two turnkey options to schools that focus on teaching the importance of volunteering while providing impactful hands-on projects for students to create and donate to those who may benefit from kindness. Our goal is to inspire these students to be lifelong volunteers. For more details about our school programming, please see below.
Classroom Kindness Kits – Facilitated by a teacher, administrator or parent in the classroom
Our classroom Kindness Kit is a customized turnkey service program packaged and delivered to schools for volunteer experiences in the classroom, lead by a teacher or parent.
So often, teachers, parents and school administrators would like to integrate volunteer opportunities and service learning into the classroom, but with busy schedules and maxed out resources, it’s difficult to coordinate. This is where TKC can help. TKC works directly with teachers, PTA/PTO or school administrators to create a customized service program for the students to participate in during the school day. Schools choose the service project from a list provided by TKC.
- Project materials
- Lesson plan/curriculum
- Informative video
- Talking points and project step-by-step instructions
- Other impactful elements and activities for the classroom
Through the materials provided, students will learn the importance of volunteering, community and nonprofit as they create a gift for a Senior, Youth, Veteran or Sheltered Animal. Gifts are sent to local nonprofit partners including (but not limited to) Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly, Edward Hines Veterans Hospital, Lovell Federal Heath Care Center, Heartland Animal Shelter, Orphans of the Storm Animal Shelter, North Shore University HealthSystem Hospitals, Casa Central and more.
Cost: $7 per student*
*Includes project selection, program materials (excluding glue, markers and scissors), a lesson plan, video, instructions and reflection.
TKC is able to pass along some materials at cost thanks to our generous donors. The per student fee charged covers 45% of the overall program cost.
Contact Schools@thekindnessconnection.org for more information
School Wide Program – TKC Comes To YOUR School To Facilitate
Our facilitated option allows for larger groups to participate in a structured single day event that occurs on a set date in a central location in the school.
What to expect when TKC facilitates:
- TKC Staff will arrive with all necessary materials for the day 60 min before the event start to complete set-up. Depending on group size there may be either one single session or several different sessions.
- Groups will gather in one large group for a 10 minute TKC led discussion about volunteering, service, community and project instructions.
- Students will spend 30-40 minutes completing the gifts for recipients
- TKC Staff will pack up all remaining materials and completed gifts to be delivered to our partner nonprofits.
- PROJECT OPTION: Create a stuffed animal, design a card and decorate a gift bag to create a gift for a young person in need.
Project Cost: $20 per child
Minimum of 250 students to book this option
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or book your Kindness Day